Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Frustré

My mom has been staying at my house for the past several days, and I HAVE to rant a bit. Here are the top ten things I've noticed since Friday:

1. So that she has transportation and shelter during the day, my mom has to drive me to work in my car and unlock my back door for me when I get home. The loss of control I'm experiencing is affecting me greatly.
2. I field complaints about my house being too cold as I eye the front porch door she left flapping open in the winter wind. "It's only a heat pump..." I remind her.
3. There is an inexplicable amount of long hair left in the toilet each day. I'm not going to touch that one.
4. Cigarette butts are stabbed out in the kitchen sink and left to steep in the dishwater and/or sit in the drain catch. She's not smoking inside, so....???
5. Plans for the evening are cancelled because she has had too much to drink and cannot walk without assistance. This really bothers me, and might need to be the topic of another post.
6. Knocking on my bedroom door before entering is a mere courtesy and not really necessary since we’re all family. My naked time is kept at an EXTREME minimum, just in case. EW. And don't get the idea that I clean house in the nude, do jumping jacks in front of my open bedroom window, etc. I'm no exhibitionist!
7. Since neither of us is motivated to cook, we are eating a bunch of junk. By the way, did you know that when you order a bacon cheesburger, fries, and a Whopper combo with Diet Coke(which totals $6.48) at the local Burger King and pay the cashier $6.50, you get $0.08 in change, a chicken sandwich, a Whopper, onion rings and a Coke? I still struggle with lowering expectations sometimes...
8. I keep a running list of items I never expected to touch my couch (e.g. a BK burger patty, a chunk of chocolate cake).
9. I make long personal phone calls to avoid further conversation about life’s transitions and tribulations. Alone time is at a premium...
10. I feel guilty for writing this, and am debating whether or not to post it.

I suppose I’m an impatient, bad son for writing this, but I had to get it off my chest somehow! Despite all of her eccentricities, I love her anyway – but I still hope that she finds a new home soon.

1 comment:

Anita Powell said...

Dearest, you are entitled to vent. I don't know how you are surviving! If you need to call me tonight, please do. In fact, I might just call you. I'm sorry I missed your call last night. I had left my phone in my car and didn't know you called until this morning. But I'll call you, tonight okay? I love you!