Friday, March 24, 2006

La bonne chance / Heureux enfin / Ma belle vie

What an eventful few weeks... I just received word a few days ago that I have been offered a job at my university that will be a significant promotion over my current position, complete with a considerable raise in salary. Maybe there will be other options for lunchtime besides homemade turkey sandwiches and reduced fat Ruffles. Maybe I can even begin a 403(b) account (like a 401(k), but for us educators). I can hear the RV's engine purring as I type...

My mother recently moved to town after years of waffling (read: physically relocating, multiple times) between a small southern village and a major midwestern city. She gained employment with the University and seems to be quite happy, having started work two days ago. Maybe this third city, which carries no previous emotional baggage, will be the winning ticket for her life's lottery. I am adjusting to living near family again (it has been 11 years since I lived any fewer than 3.5 hours away from the closest relative), and helping her adjust to my - now our - fair city.

I have met quite a wonderful man, and he has been in my life for a month and a half now. Though not too much time has passed since we first met, I have never felt so special and adored, and I look forward to every moment we spend together. This is no short-term fling; I hope, as we continue getting to know one another, that the strong feelings we have will persist. We are both long-term, relationship-minded people with goals and ambition, and he has the gentlest, sweetest, most sincere personality to boot. I humbly decline to comment on my own.

I am headed down to his house for the weekend, and cannot wait for whatever is in store. He is the kind of person with whom I can do or say nothing and still be comfortable - a BIG step and important facet of a successful, healthy relationship. Although I am enjoying living in the moment, my mind has wandered down the path of the future between us. I like the scenery that lies ahead.

No comments: