Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Cauchemar bizarre et effrayant

Okay, so here is the weird dream I had:

I was running some sort of race (you know how I love to run) that took place on some rural stretch of Interstate. As I was jogging past a farm, I noticed a pair of gentlemen in some sort of junkyard adjacent to their house, tinkering around with something I couldn't make out. For some reason, I felt like I had the time to leave the race for a bit and went over to check out the situation. The two men - one older, one younger - were trying to move a large, ten-foot long piece of heavy metal tubing, and had somehow rigged up a system of chains in order to make the task easier.

The men were fairly aggressive toward me, but at the same time were appreciative of my efforts. I found out in the limited conversation we had that the younger one was, coincidentally, the boyfriend of my acquaintance Bonnie, one of the young women who works in our IT department as a troubleshooter. After successfully relocating the metal tube from one seemingly useless location to another, I rejoined the race along the highway.

Apparently, I was quite ahead of the pack at the time I stopped to help Bonnie's boyfriend and the other man. When I reached the Interstate again, I jogged up the entrance ramp and joined the throng of runners who had since caught up with me. Among them was Bonnie, with whom I began a cheery, albeit breathless, conversation about the chance meeting that had taken place off-road only minutes ago.

The highway entered a more urban area and became elevated - much like the downtown portion of I-10 in New Orleans. As Bonnie, me, and the rest of the pack rounded a bend, I saw Bonnie's boyfriend standing at the top of the next rise - a bridge, perhaps - holding a shotgun. When he spotted me, he shouted something about my having stolen Bonnie from him (as if!), raised the shotgun to his shoulders, and fired.

I thought that you weren't supposed to die in dreams, but I felt the bullet hit my face, just below my right eye. I had enough time to slurrily wish everyone well, and then my world went black.

It's a good thing that the urban legend about dreaming of death actually causing death isn't true. I woke up next to my boyfriend, took a deep breath, and went back to sleep - peacefully.

1 comment:

Anita Powell said...

Wow. We're both dreaming about death lately. The other day I had a really bad one. I was driving my new car on the Interstate, on a bridge much like the Bayway when I turned onto an exit ramp. The ramp was under water, like the pictures of the exit ramps into Waveland, MS just after Hurricane Katrina. So of course, I drove straight into the water. My car went completely under and I drowned, trapped in the car. I woke up with the covers over my face, having a lot of trouble breathing.

So I know disturbing it is to dream of dying. I'm glad it was just a dream.. for both of us!