Thursday, January 18, 2007

Keeping It in the Family

At our "Supper Club" last night, we got into a conversation about adoption, and it got me to thinking about the reality of it all. My partner and I are currently on an adoption wait list - well, he is, since the state doesn't recognize me as anything other than a roommate - and are edging closer and closer to the top. Things will happen when they are supposed to; I'm in no rush to start a family.

Given the news lately about men in most states not being able to easily change their names at the time of marriage (all the woman does is indicate she wants to change it at the time of license application), I've reawakened to the concept that between my brother and myself, my last name will die out if we do not have biological children or adopt and pass the name down. If only American society could awaken for the first time to the idea that breaking convention is not, by default, a bad thing!

1 comment:

Anita Powell said...

You're not the only one whose name will die. Unless I find a man who is willing to take my name, and I have a son, the Havel name will die too. There are no boys with my last name left, which kind of makes me want to have a son all by myself (through whatever means I can find, lol) so that I can ensure my family name goes on...

BTW... yay for writing more!!! I've enjoyed reading your posts!