Monday, January 15, 2007

How can I go a new direction when I didn't have one originally?

In an effort to do a bit of writing every day or so per my conversation with Anita last night, I'm going to try it out. I can already hear the gasps - no need to comment that it's been a blue moon. I commented to her last night that I didn't often have enough thoughts to put up on web or down on paper in a day - at least not ones that are organized and sensible, and not to mention interesting to someone not me. Doubting that could be the case, Anita encouraged me to try out the daily writing thing. So... Here's my feeble-turning-valiant effort:

I spent the MLK holiday sleeping in a little later than intended, awoke to a sweet phone call from my beau, and sipped away gingerly at a near-boiling cup of freshly ground coffee - my morning mainstay. Per one of my New Year's resolutions, I am working on doing better at making time for my simple hobbies: reading, writing, gaming, and hiking. Biking should be in there, too, but I'm on a holiday from it while Jack Frost is in town. Okay, Jack Frost doesn't cross the Mason-Dixon line, but I don't feel like exercise at the moment.

I took some time and played Space Quest IV, which, after not having played it since before my college days, is nearly a new game. For whatever reason, I've been pining for the days where computer game storylines were linear and adventurous rather than the shoot-em-up'n'kill-em-all style of today. Since I can't control the world, I bought several compendia of old DOS-based Sierra games and have been playing my favorite space hero's character, Roger Wilco, over the span of the last month.

Later in the day, I drove to my beau's workplace and took him out to lunch - another of the simple pleasures I can enjoy when he's working and I'm not. Shopping followed lunch, and it was not a very productive experience. Today, I was in the selfish mindset of being able to shop for myself but not for my sister, father or stepmother, who still lack Christmas gifts. Why don't they have gifts? It's a long story - my credit card was shut off during a good bit of the pre-Christmas holiday due to my being out of the country. Ugh.

Tonight for dinner: pork chops, black-eyed peas, and possibly cornbread. Yumm....

No comments: