Thursday, April 27, 2006

Ma nouvelle voisine: Katie Couric (Katie Couric Is My Neighbor)


When I got out of my car this morning after arriving at my house, I could hear muffled talking coming from next door. As I got a little closer to the house, I distinctly heard Al Roker tell me that today was going to be beautiful; then Katie Couric took over to explain to me why I paid so much at the pump a few days ago. I pictured Al and Katie sitting with my neighbor Ben in his living room, lounging on his couch, sipping at piping hot coffee from their Today Show mugs (they brought one for Ben, too). How nice would it be to sit down with those media moguls and talk shop for an hour or so!

I rounded the corner and leapt up the two steps leading to my kitchen door. Much to my chagrin, Katie's voice had grown quite loud - almost irate - and Matt Lauer had to calm her by stepping in to tell her and me about something happier in the news. He quickly whipped himself into a frenzied pitch as well, however. I opened the door to Katie, Matt, Al and Ann shrieking like banshees, and final woke up out of my daydream to realize that the quartet had not come to visit Ben, but to see ME! Apparently, the power had gone out overnight, and when it flickered back on, it triggered the living room tv to come on with a vengeful volume. There is no telling what Ben had to watch through the walls last night - at least I hadn't last taken in a sultry Skinamax show or left some steamy DVD spinning in the player. Embarrassed, I forced the Today Show crew out of my living room and back to New York. I'll apologize to Ben later.

No comments: