Saturday, December 08, 2007

Trop de seins (Too many titties)


Ummm... Yeah. I'm sure you're shocked to: a) see a posting from me after nearly eight months and b) read that a gay man thinks there are too many boobs in the fabulous "horredy" - that's horror + comedy - Blood Car. I'm shocked that you're a) reading my blog, as after all, I tend to abandon it until it whines at me like a puppy at the back door, waiting to come back in after being forgotten for... well, eight months. Seriously, I don't think I ever had any "readers", but it's still fun to write from time to time. I have creative juices (minds out of the gutter, kiddies), and they need to be let out (à la Cat Stevens - I can't keep it in). Let's start a new paragraph without sexual innuendo.

If you love the horredy genre, you simply must watch Blood Car, a film my best friend Anita and I saw at the Sidewalk Film Festival in Birmingham, Alabama in September. It was a runaway hit with the audience, who had stayed up late and skipped the first part of that night's after-party in order to take in the flick about a vegan kindergarten teacher who is in passionate pursuit of a solution to the gas price crisis and accidentally discovers that blood will run a gasoline engine. This film violates every filming rule, breaks every social more, and will have you picking your jaw up from your living room floor once you get past the audacious film maker's take on our unnecessary dependence on oil. Oh - and the vegan kindergarten teacher is a sex maniac. There - ready to watch yet??

I ended up crushing on the lead actor, Mike Brune, while watching the movie, and by sheer coincidence met him in person at the after-party later that evening. In continuing the Blood Car tradition of violation, I broke my own "if-I-ever-meet-a-famous-person-I-won't -choke-on-my-words-and-say-something-stupid" rule. Let's just say that my performance was by far outdone by Mr. Brune, whom I left standing alone because I was too sheepish and bumbling to stay and risk saying anything else that would betray my graduate education. Nothing less than a gentleman, Mike personally responded to an email I later sent to compliment him on his performance in the movie and wish him well in his film career.

Oh yeah - the boobs. If fun bags scare you, don't watch this movie. There are plenty of unnecessary and gratuitous shots of them, and if you're a straight male or a lesbian (or impartial, like me), you won't be let down in any sense of the word. I gave Blood Car as Christmas gifts to a few select family members, including my mother, who likes to "preview" (read: unwrap as soon as she sees) her gifts for any occasion. About a half-hour into it, she turned to me, said in an alarmingly casual and familiar tone, "Let's turn this off. There are just too many boobs for me," and then returned her boob-thirsty... er, blood-thirsty eyes to the screen. Thirty minutes later, we had to turn it off because we were exhausted from a day of work. And at that point, I'd seen enough boobs to meet my millennial quota.

Check out The Casual Critic for a more cerebral review than mine. You'll love the site.

No comments: